Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Who knew Dublin was so ghetto!

Sorry it has been so long since my last entry. Our entire house has been ridiculously sick. Seriously, our house should have been on quarantine. I should have put one of those termite tents on our house. No one in, no one out. It was bad. But luckily after lots of rest and antibiotics, we are finally all feeling much better.

While one of our resting times last week an interesting and somewhat disturbing thing happened. Jack had accidentally taken an impromptu nap, which I thoroughly was taking advantage of. As I lay there on the couch resting, I heard the door bell ring. I knew right away it was the mailman because he annoying rang the bell twice and I heard him drop a couple of boxes just outside my door. I knew the boxes would still be there later, so I left them where they lay and continued to enjoy the quiet and the sight of the inside of my eyelids. About an hour later there came yet another interrupting ring of the doorbell. I drug myself off the couch and take a peek out the peephole to find a pretty ghetto looking man wearing turquoise cotton gloves. There is no way I'm answering the door for some crazy looking dude. So I proceed to be the nosey neighbor and just stare at him through my little peephole. I watch him give up on me answering the door and he rings my neighbor’s bell. I knew she was at work so no one seemed to be home. I figured he’d give up completely and go away, but no. He came back and starting picking up the 2 boxes that were left out front by the mailman. WTF?! He wasn’t just glancing at them, no no, he picked them up and was inspecting them; probably noting that they were both from shoe stores and most likely contained some sort of shoe that he could easily steal. After a few seconds of realizing that he wasn’t just checking them out, he had every intention of stealing them, I forcefully opened the door. I know… in retrospect, I really should not have opened the door. He could have been a very bad man (with gloves on!) that could have done all kinds of bad things. But fortunately for me, I scared him enough to take him off guard and he was quite surprised to see me. He put down the boxes and immediately started apologizing. He introduced himself as a new neighbor that just moved in down the street and that he was coming to introduce himself. Yeah right! He didn’t exactly look like the friendly neighbor type. He even tried to tell me that he was just looking at the boxes to find out what my name was. Sure you were. After he left I called up Jason to tell him what had happened. While I was on the phone with him my neighbor from across the way knocked on my door to tell me she saw the whole incident and was going to call the cops. Jason ended up calling the cops as well, just to let them know about the situation. The dispatch informed him that he’d have to file a report in order for them to give a damn basically. So he did.

I wasn’t sure what the cops would do about it though. I mean really, its not like he actually took anything, but he sure thought about it. I get a call about 20 minutes later from the Dublin Police Department asking me to drive down the street and ID a guy that they have in custody! Wow, that was fast. The Dublin Police truly don’t have a lot to do, so when they hear about some African American person attempting to steal boxes, wow, were they on the case! I drive down the street and there are FOUR police vehicles that are parked on the side of the road, all with their lights on. It seriously looked like a drug bust! They bring this guy out so that I can take a look at him. The only description that the cops had to go off of was that he was a black man. Talk about racial profiling! This poor guy looked nothing like the scary dude that came to my door other than the fact that he happen to also have the same color skin. He was clearly pissed too. They had him standing there in handcuffs while they searched his car. Not sure what they were looking for considering the fact that he didn’t actually steal anything that I saw. But you never know, he could have stolen other boxes I suppose. So I inform the cops that the poor angry man standing there was not the “perp” they were looking for. They told me they would let him go and that they’d be by my house later to ask more questions. Well, they never showed up. Bastards. I’m thinking that attempted box robbery is not a serious enough charge to justify coming out. Oh well. The way I see it, that dude knows exactly where I live. I kind of don’t want him pissed off at me.

I have seen this dude since then so I am pretty sure he really does live in my neighborhood. Although, I don’t plan on calling the cops on him at this point, I do plan on watching him intently to make sure he isn’t doing anything else shady. I don’t want to put me and my family at risk by being a nark, but I do have the police number in my phone just in case. I think I should start a neighborhood watch. We could get some night-vision binoculars and peep on everyone. If you’d like to join just send in $500 along with a picture of yourself wearing a black ski mask.

No comments:

Post a Comment